In the wake of Hurricane Harvey, celebrities are stepping up to help the victims of the massive storm by pledging thousands of dollars to aid recovery efforts by different charities.
Hurricane Harvey has devastated the Gulf Coast, claiming at least 15 lives and flooding portions of Texas cities like Houston.
Hurricane Harvey struck the southeastern Texas coast as a Category 4 hurricane on Friday and has been churning over the state ever since. FEMA head Brock Long estimates upwards of 30,000 people might need to seek shelter as a result of the flooding.
Donations for flood relief efforts began pouring in after actor Kevin Hart donated $25,000 on Monday to the Red Cross, and he challenged some of his famous friends to do the same.
“At this point, I’m going to start a real challenge,” Hart said. “I’m challenging a lot of my celebrity friends to follow my lead in donating $25,000 to Hurricane Harvey — to the Red Cross. At this point, this a serious matter. I think that people are in bad shape and they need help.” Hart later upped his donation to $50,000.
The response to Hart’s challenge has been overwhelming, with big stars like Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and singer Chris Brown contributing hundreds of thousands of dollars. Kim Kardashian and her sisters are pledging $500,000.
The list below consists of the celebrities who have announced their pledges for Hurricane Harvey flood relief efforts.
- The Astros are pledging $4 million
- Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt started a fundraising effort that has already raised millions, with a new goal of $5 million.
- Sandra Bullock is pledging $1 million
- Houston Texans are pledging $1 million
- Kim Kardashian and her sisters are pledging $500,000.
- Dodgers Scott Kazmir is pledging $130,000
- Chris Brown is pledging $100,000
- Country singer Chris Young is pledging $100,000
- Kevin Hart is pledging $50,000
- Supernatural actor Jensen Ackles is pledging $50,000 and has raised more than $160,000 via Crowdrise in collaboration with Random Acts
- Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez are pledging $50,000
- Ellen De Generes is pledging $50,000
- Baseball player Mike Trout is pledging $27,000
- Rapper T.I. is pledging $25,000
- Nicki Minaj is pledging $25,000
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is pledging $25,000
- DJ Khaled is pledging $25,000
- The Ellen Show is pledging $25,000
- Football player Ezekiel Elliott is pledging $21,000
- Jack Antonoff is pledging to match donations up to $10,000
- Ruby Rose is pledging to match Antonoff’s donation and donate $10,000 more
- Baseball player Matt Carpenter is pledging $10,000 for every home-run he hits for the rest of the season
- Love and Hip Hop Hollywood’s Masika Kalysha is pledging $2,500
While only a few stars announced donations to flood relief efforts, many have used their massive social media followings to encourage people to give what they can.
Katy Perry, who boasts Twitter’s largest following at more than 103 million, urged viewers to donate while she hosted MTV’s Video Music Awards on Sunday night, and she tweeted a link to the Red Cross’ donation efforts.
—With files from Chris Jancelewicz